Bringing you the best of media

Brighton & Hove Albion 1 Newcastle United 2


Elliot Anderson scored two late goals to secure a 2-1 victory for Newcastle United against Brighton & Hove Albion in New Jersey, concluding their Premier League Summer Series campaign. The match at Red Bull Arena remained goalless in the first half, but Newcastle fell behind shortly after the restart when Danny Welbeck tapped in from close range. However, Anderson equalized in the closing stages, continuing his impressive pre-season performance. In the final minute of stoppage time, the 20-year-old midfielder sealed the comeback win with a composed finish, marking his fourth goal in four friendly matches this season and keeping United’s chances alive in the inaugural competition.

Newcastle manager Eddie Howe made eleven changes from the team that faced Chelsea at the Mercedes-Benz Stadium, granting Harvey Barnes his full debut for the Magpies against the Seagulls. Additionally, young right-back Harrison Ashby made his first-ever start for Newcastle at the first-team level. Early in the game, Matt Targett made a crucial challenge to deny Facundo Buonanotte a shot at goal, sliding inside the box to clear the danger. Anderson came close to scoring his third goal of the pre-season campaign after receiving a pass from Barnes inside the penalty area, but his powerful shot was saved by Brighton goalkeeper Bart Verbruggen. Newcastle had a lucky escape when Targett was dispossessed on the edge of his own box, and Adam Lallana’s subsequent shot missed wide of the left-hand post.

In the opening minutes of the second half, the Magpies had a prime opportunity to score, but Jamaal Lascelles’ header from Matt Ritchie’s well-placed free-kick went over the crossbar. Unfortunately, in the 49th minute, Newcastle conceded a goal in an unlucky manner. Kaoru Mitoma made his way past Ashby on the right side and delivered a dangerous cross that was skillfully redirected into Welbeck’s path by Pope. Welbeck then calmly placed the ball into an empty net from close range. Pope made a crucial save to prevent Brighton from extending their lead. After a swift counter-attack involving Mitoma, Roberto De Zerbi’s side had a dangerous shot from Buonanotte, but Pope managed to turn it around for a corner. In the 60th minute, Wilson struck the crossbar with a powerful shot after a well-executed combination with Murphy.

Newcastle continued to push for an equalizer. Barnes attempted a curling shot towards the far corner, but van Hecke blocked it, and Murphy’s audacious long-range attempt was saved by Verbruggen. Anderson came close to leveling the score when he dispossessed Brighton’s substitute Jensen Weir inside the penalty area. Wilson set up Anderson, who took a shot from inside the box that was pushed around the post by the Dutch goalkeeper. In the 86th minute, Newcastle finally found the equalizer. Substitute Ben Parkinson delivered a low cross into the penalty area, and Anderson managed to find the loose ball and score from close range. The game had a dramatic finish, with Parkinson narrowly missing his first senior goal after heading Murphy’s cross just over the crossbar.

Brighton and Hove Albion scores! The team trails behind Newcastle United with a score of 1-2. Elliot Anderson, a player from Newcastle United, takes a shot with his left foot from the center of the box, successfully finding the bottom left corner of the net. Jacob Murphy provided the assist by passing the ball through to Anderson. However, it was Anderson who secured a late victory for Newcastle. He skillfully received Murphy’s lofted pass, shrugged off Albion defender Ed Turns, and calmly slotted the ball into the left-hand corner of the net. Newcastle United’s lineup: Nick Pope, Harrison Ashby (Lewis Miley 59), Jamaal Lascelles (Remi Savage 79), Paul Dummett (Alex Murphy 75), Matt Targett, Matt Ritchie (Jay Turner-Cooke 79), Bruno Guimarães, Elliot Anderson, Jacob Murphy, Harvey Barnes (Jamie Miley 90), Callum Wilson (Ben Parkinson 75).

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.